Quantcast

multiple connections break

Heribert Steuer
QuickFIX FAQ: http://www.quickfixengine.org/wikifix/index.php?QuickFixFAQ

hi guys,

I just encountered an interesting thing with quickfix which is not on FIX protocol layer but TCP.
we configured 3 counterparts in our settings file and quickfix tries to connect to them. if one of those counterparts filters and drops the TCP connection (no RST in reply to our SYN), quickfix is waiting and the other connections either dont get established or go down with "waiting for heartbeat message".

i was yet not looking into the quickfix code but i assume its a problem with the engine not trying to set up connections in parallel - or maybe not having any timeout for opening net connections.

the problem with that is that counterparts can bring down other FIX connections by just ignoring SYN packets from us.

did one of you guys ever see any similar problem?

regards,
heri

p.s.: this is quickfix 1.9.2 on FreeBSD 5.3. Im just installing 1.9.4 for testing.

If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error)
please notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorized
forbidden.

Re: multiple connections break

Bugzilla from Joerg.Thoennes@macd.com
QuickFIX FAQ: http://www.quickfixengine.org/wikifix/index.php?QuickFixFAQ

Hi Heri,

> I just encountered an interesting thing with quickfix which is not on FIX protocol
> layer but TCP. we configured 3 counterparts in our settings file and quickfix tries to
> connect to them. if one of those counterparts filters and drops the TCP connection (no
> RST in reply to our SYN), quickfix is waiting and the other connections either dont get
> established or go down with "waiting for heartbeat message".
>
> i was yet not looking into the quickfix code but i assume its a problem with the engine
> not trying to set up connections in parallel - or maybe not having any timeout for
> opening net connections.

Actually this depends on which Initiator you use: if you use the ThreadedSocketInitiator,
every connection is setup in parallel in a separate thread: See the method doConnect()
in src/C++/ThreadedSocketInitiator.cpp. If you just use SocketInitiator, the method
doConnect() does the connection setup one by one.

So if you currently use SocketInitiator, please replace it by the threaded version and
give it another try.

If you are already using ThreadedSocketInitiator, then there may be another problem.

Anyway, I would give 1.9.4 a try.

Cheers, Jörg

--
Joerg Thoennes